Thread: 1998 Boxster
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
...How old (sidewall of tire date) are the tires?
This is a good thing to check...with that few miles, I wouldn't be surprised to see tires that are more than a decade old, and even if they look brand new, I wouldn't want to drive on them...or drive much.

+1 on PPI, but even a good PPI won't catch everything...something could still happen.

You should be aware that these cars require a bit more service and are prone to having some issues/failures you might not think of if you are comparing to other cars (ie check the version of the coolant cap, etc.).

Now with all the doom and gloom out of the way, these cars are a heck of a lot of fun to drive...for me the fun has been worth the headaches and would do it again.

Finally, price (at least to me) has always been subjective. If you like the car, and it's a price you can afford, who really cares what someone else has paid? It a given you will lose money in depreciation and maintenance, and in far larger amounts than the differences in list prices. I'm not advocating writing a blank check or personally financing a vacation for the salesman, but if KBB or NADA didn't exist, would you think this is a fair price to pay for what you are getting? In the end, a sale is nothing more than a seller and buyer agreeing on a price, and that agreement means both parties are happy (or happy-ish)...if your happy, don't worry about the person that posts they bought the same car for $5000...tomorrow they might have a bill for another $5000 in service.

In any event, best wishes and happy driving!
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote