Thread: 1998 Boxster
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
mikefocke

7 years ago I sold a 2001S with brand new PS2 tires and records for $12k. A 20 year old car ages as well as wears. Plastic becomes brittle. etc.

You are buying a car 20 years old for about a quarter of its purchase price and a fifth of what it would cost to get a new one. It isn't a primary car and your wife wants it. Good for her. Since you are buying a retirement toy (I did too) I assume you can afford any low thousand dollar expenses it brings.

Are there any records of having a 30k service ever done? The 90k is the most comprehensive service spec if you want to bring it to a point where you know what the service situation is. I did my 90k at maybe 35k miles and after that mine was wonderfully reliable.

How old (sidewall of tire date) are the tires?

Pre Purchase Inspection by an expert water cooled engine Porsche mechanic is suggested especially if someone is asking top dollar. I did and it gave me a schedule of when I'd need to be doing things and what needed doing now. It was to be a second car but evolved quickly into an except when it snowed or was too cold for the tires car.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote