View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Zzorro

986 Drip Pans - Repair or Replace?

Brining a 986 back to life. Has holes in the drip trays. Water leaked. CLU damaged. You've all read the posts.

Good news is the car starts, runs and drives great!

Convertible top is off, drip trays are removed. Interior completely ripped out and it's drying out. The top is also converted to manual with all arms and pushrods removed etc.

New Porsche OEM replacement drip trays are $225 each side here in Vancouver area of BC. So I'd like to see what options are out there first. So here are my questions/thoughts.

Who has had success in repairing holes in these drip trays? I have seen a few posts about silicone sealing the holes. For those that have done it; has is worked out and held up?

Has anyone had success with adding a layer of waterproof material to the underside of the entire tray? I'm thinking like a heavy plastic membrane under the whole thing and spray gluing it to fuse it together?

Does the 987 drip pan fit a 986? It looks to be made of a more durable molded plastic as opposed to thin/flexible foam. Anyone tried it?

I've looked into used ones and think it's a crapchute. But will consider buying a pair if anyone has some good ones to sell me.

Thanks you boxster brainiacs for having a read and responding. I can't wait to teach my daughter how to drive in it once it's all fixed up. You guys have helped me get lots done on my refurbishment so far.

Last edited by Zzorro; 04-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote