View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
CVLCPorsche

Finally got most of my projects done on my new 2001 Zanzibar Boxster

I am a lifelong Porsche fanatic whose primary passion has been air-cooled 911's. About a year ago I started thinking it would be nice to have a more "modern" Porsche, one that had functional AC, would be comfortable for a weekend trip with my wife and one that was still a momentum car as the new high HP Porsche's don't really do it for me. I like to have to work the car and really drive.

With that in mind I decided I wanted an original 986, the purity of the original design drew me in. The problem was I had my heart set on just one color, Zanzibar.... I have loved that color since I first saw it. Luckily I found my ideal car, a 34k mile, all original 2001 Boxster. It's not heavily optioned and I would have preferred an S, but it was literally as new in every respect.

From there I had to start making it my own. Here is what it looked like when I got it (after I had detailed it... It was clean but not this clean)

I started with the mechanical items and tackled the following:
  • Replaced IMS Bearing with Roller Bearing style
  • New RMS
  • Full major service including all fluids, filters, spark plugs, belts, etc
  • New Battery
  • Cleaned out the front radiators

Once I felt good mechanically it was time to upgrade the exterior appearance. The list included:
  • OEM Litronic Headlight Upgrade
  • OEM 2003-2004 Rear Tailights
  • Clear side Markers
  • OEM Sport Exhaust (wired the valves open all the time)
  • OEM 18" Hollow Spoke wheels in Matte Black 7mm rear spacers
  • Black Hardtop

From there I moved to the interior and did the following:
  • Painted the Center console and dash trim in Zanzibar
  • Deleted the center console and installed the GT3 trim
  • Deleted the airbag warnings on the visors
  • Black and Orange Cocoa Mats (not pictured)

Today was a great day as its the first time I have driven it since getting everything all done, it was done on a time available basis so 3 months of off and on. I am thrilled at how it has turned out and have just a few small items on the to do list. Thanks to the forum for lots of project ideas, FAQ and project guides!
CVLCPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote