View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #20
Drphil
midlifechrisis

a year ago I bought a stock base '97 with only 37,000 miles on it ( now has 42,000), flew to NYC and drove it home, could feel clutch did not feel same as my 2001S I had a few years before, and after a few months realized the hydraulics needed work , master cylinder was going and it looked like I had an RMS leak , slow but nonethe less there so I took it in for a clutch, and turns out the leak was the IMS not RMS, the rms was bone dry. - I was in stage1/2 of IMS failure- good thing I took it in when I did- I have no idea how much effect the previous drive had on this but how the HELLL do you burn up a flywheel and disc in 37k miles??? holys@** - - my last boxster is with its 3rd owner(bigjake) and is on the original IMS and clutch at what, Jake, about 125k miles?? This car is a dual row IMS with a less than 1% failure rate- it may be true that cars that sit a lot have more problems - IDK but, I now have a dual row LN IMS hybrid ceramic bearing- my mechanic has replaced hundreds of these and has never had one come back with a failure!. - so new dual mass fly wheel pressure plate disc and whole new hydraulic clutch upgrade new pipes lines slave and master cylinder and car drives like new- I guess I will put about 5k miles a year on it or so I should be good for 10 years if I keep it- its got 42k miles I guess as of today, guys all I can say is I would not hesitate if you don't know the history of a car and who and how they drove it, its a crap shoot it may last or not. but I would have done this myself didn't have time, paid $3700 for all that- way cheaper than a new motor!
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote