View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
linklaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I just watched that too. My IMS failed on my 2004 at 52K miles. Porsche covered it just under the 10 year qualification for 90% of the repair. Since I had only purchased the car with 48K on it, my local mechanic that I had purchased the car from agreed to pay the 10% difference, and a clutch because the local Porsche dealer said I needed a new one. So I got a new engine, and a clutch at zero cost! 2 year unlimited warranty from PCNA with no mileage limitation. My mechanic had to fork out $3,270 bucks to cover the 10% difference. I posted that story on the forum, and Jack Raby said I should go out and buy a lottery ticket. A year after it was done I got a letter from the class action lawyers that said there was a mistake in the award. My stomach sank. 2 weeks later I got a second letter from the law firm that said they were mistaken and I was covered. Whew! Still purring like new now. I was lucky. Sorry for the long story, but I had to post this somewhat odd story. I know others have been less fortunate. Mitch
So, if my math is correct, it cost around $32700 for the replacement engine, in a 10 ear old car? That's insane and great that you didn't have to pay, but for that money you should have been able to upgrade to a 987, with very little chance of bearing failure.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote