View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
Brian in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I have intermix on my '02 Boxster S. There's a good amount of oil in the water. I see no water in the oil. The oil cooler is very cheap and easy to replace so I have a new one here that I'm going to install and see if it fixes the problem. I'm thinking ahead that if it isn't the oil cooler, after searching, it would appear the other alternative issue is a cracked cylinder head. Has anyone has a cylinder head repaired and replaced? I know this is an engine out procedure and I just am not up to doing that myself. Anyone have real world experience on what the cost is on a job like this? Not at the dealer but a good independent shop. I'm hoping that it's the oil cooler, but things are not rolling my way on this car. I have to hope for the best and plan for the worst.
I hope it's your oil cooler, removing and reinstalling an engine is well north of $2 grand. I did mine myself, I didn't know strategies or time/labor saving practices It took me a lot more than 25 hours. Then there's the repair to the head and parts. you are facing some serious expenses. If you have to do this, do the IMS bearing, rear main seal, front main seal, and the clutch while it's out. Serpentine belt, power steering fluid, and engine mount. Water pump too. Expect perished coolant hoses. and a general clean out of the cooling system. And plugs & coils. Clean the MAF sensor. Yes, you can see how it goes. I just did an engine swap--working alone with no lift, and not full time hours, it took me almost 3 months. On the bright side, you won't have to do the long term periodic maintenance that probably due soon.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 03-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote