View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Sammyj

1998 Boxster modification/fixes/advice

Hello everyone!
As I stated in the intro section I bought a 1998 Boxster at auction last year that was in a minor front end collision. I had mostly fixed the car last year and did get to drive it for a little over a month before winter then throughout the winter I have been working on smaller issues and maintenance for the car. Now I have a few modifications/personal touches that I plan on doing for the spring and am seeing if anyone would like to provide some input or recommendations.

Things that have been done so far,
-Front end fixed
-Radiators replaced
-Broken door locks fixed
-Air filter and oil change
-Desnorkled and non-stock intake tube (previous owner)
-Maf replaced
-New summer uhp tires, 8.5 wheels for the front.
-Bilstein B6 rear struts, fronts look like they are stock?

Things I plan on this spring

-Rest of the maintenance parts, like belts, brake fluid, trans fluid, water pump, thermostat and spark plugs. I don't plan on changing the IMS at this point, I'm not sure if it has been changed but the car does have 92k on it. I will watch for any signs of failure and when the car need a clutch see if it has been changed.

-Performance alignment, driving last fall with new 225/255 tires the car would still understeer. I plan on dremeling out the strut mounts for more negative camber for the front and hope to hit specs somewhere around -1.5-2.0 front camber zero toe, -1.5-1.9(max) rear camber as long as it is not too much more then the front and slight toe in. All of this to get the car a little sharper and neutral.

-Short shifter, is the ball bearing shifter really that much better then a standard bushing shifter?

-Aftermarket muffler or modify the stock one. I just want a little more exhaust tone.

-Clutch helper spring, thinking about removing/changing the spring for better clutch feel. Sounds like some have problems removing this altogether and causes other issues with the car. My best guess is that once it is removed then the Clutch Delay Switch, not sure of the actual name but the switch that pulls timing once the clutch is depressed is now in a limbo mode. I guess this is one thing I will just have to mess around with until I find a combo I like. (what do Spec Boxsters do?)

-Double check front struts, maybe replace them if they are stock? I would like to lower the car at some point but probably not right now.

-Also my wheels are out for powder coating right now, going for a Brass/Gold color and hope it looks good on a black Boxster.

My plan for the car is to just have a fun drivers car that will probably see a couple autocrosses. My last car was a NA Miata which was a very fun car to drive.

If anyone has any advice, other modifications or maintenance items they are willing to share I am open.
Sammyj is offline   Reply With Quote