View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
...The Boxster key is only active when within a certain distance of the key slot, other wise they cannot see each other. That said, I can't see why you would leave the key to the car laying about.
My question is based on the fact that I've developed the bad habit of leaving the key in the ash tray as the car is always garaged. I've been doing this for the past few years (I guess it is just a matter of convenience) and I haven't had to change the key battery, however it "seems" the interior lighting (dash, orientation lights, etc) stay on somewhat longer. I say "seems" because I haven't stood around with a stopwatch to check time with and without key inside car, and rather than having to do this was curious if key left inside vehicle would still cause some systems to draw power...hince asking about communication between key and car. I should mention that I leave the car on a battery tender so I haven't seen a drain on battery.

To nutshell my question...can key be left inside car (not in ignition) without consequence (aside from any security risks )?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote