View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
Jgkram

The only issue I think you will run into is disconnecting the small electrical connector on the cylinder. There is absolutely NO play inthe length of that wire. Anyway, here is what I did...
1. Disconnected the battery just so I didn't start it by accident.
2. Removed the rubber grommet surrounding the key lock with a plastic tool.
3. Inserted the key and turned it to the first position.
4. Took a large paperclip, straightened it out and inserted it into the small hole in the ring that surrounds the key. It's a little awkward 'cause the key fob is so fat. The hole was in the 1 o'clock position.
5. I had to wiggle and play with it a little to get it to release from the barrel. I have also read later that the small hole can be manipulated to be in the 7 o'clock position which makes it easier but I don't know how to get it there.
6. Sooner or later the cylinder will release from the barrel but be careful at his point and don't pull on the wire connector too hard. You will need to disconnect the small electrical connector from the wire and the wire is not very long. It is sitting on the top of the cylinder. I had to take some small needle nose pliers to reach the connector and release it. Make sure to leave the paper clip in the hole.
7. Used spray cleaner to flush the cylinder many many times.
8. Once dry, I then flooded the cylinder with a PTFE lubricant. I think I actually used my cycling lube.
9. Reconnect the electrical connection. Patience is key.
10. Insert the cylinder in the barrel. Wiggle and it will eventually go.
11. Remove the paper clip.
12. Replace the grommet and battery.
13. Start her up.

I also lube my key periodically now as well. It still operates smoothly and it "clicks" off much quicker than it use to when the key is removed. Good luck, and sorry I didn't take photos.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote