View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Ianbadams

How does the PSE work and what is drone

I've just replaced my 2001 Boxster S (3.2) original PSE with a custom made stainless steel exhaust. Needed cats replaced as well.

Just wondering if someone could explain how the original PSE operated in terms of the valves and bypass pipes to the super sound tips?

Id describe it as having a quiet rumble up to about 3000 rpm at which point it started to open up and get louder and sporty sounding. I guess that's the reason for the valves?

The new stainless steel (no valves) is much louder and feels constant. I do like it. But seems to be a lot louder at low rpms. And I wonder if people would describe it as having a drone between 2000/3000. It's like a constant ringing through your head and what you'd feel like on a plane when after a while youd want to swallow to depressurise your ears (Haha random example). Does that sound like what people would call resonance or drone? (is drone regarded as bad or is it just a given sometimes with an exhaust ?)

I guess I quite like it as it make the car sound really sporty now but is just different I suppose to the original where you could be cruising along not realising youre in a Porsche... Which I kind of don't see the point of.
Ianbadams is offline   Reply With Quote