View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
robdelorenzo

I was able to get a complete set of very low mileage front end suspensions at a great price. I need to get the coffin arms off of that one to replace the worn ones on my car.
I'm ok with destroying the ones on the car to get them off (the boots anyway) but I need to learn about which tool I should use to remove the ones off the car without destroying the boots.
From what I have read, the pickle fork is out. But I am unclear if The Harbor Freight tool will work without having to grind it to make the "V" part wider. I don't have access to a grinder, so I am looking for a better solution.
While I am at it, it's also unclear to me if I need to lift the car to compress the suspension to remove the tie rods, coffin arms, and the wishbone link.
I think it can be done by just lifting the car itself, but I read on here somewhere that a guy said you need to put a jack under the suspension to remove and replace these pieces, or he may have been talking about replacing the struts. The 101 book isn't clear and it's painfully obvious that I need to buy a Bentley Book!
Thanks.

Last edited by robdelorenzo; 02-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote