View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
rp17

Is it the Water Pump?

One night after a spirited ride, Boxster dumps the coolant through the drain hose in front of rear passenger tire. Next morning get a low coolant light on the dash.. Did a pressure test after filling with distilled water.. Showed a slight leak from the water pump area on the elevated pavement, rear of the car at the highest point. Ordered water pump and parts. Added distilled water and drove it. Coolant dumps again same place. Last weekend, took front engine cover off and run the car no leaks from the pump etc... Take it for a drive with cover off, no coolant dump. Put everything back together and take it for another drive the next day. Forgot something and circled back home, coolant everywhere.. I had opened the bleeder valve the first time I added water. Now coolant bleeder valve won't go down even after sitting overnight so can't pressure test. Is this the water pump? Coolant reservoir replaced 2 years ago.. When I remove the front engine compartment, I also pulled the carpet in the rear and looked at the reservoir and saw no leaks. Coolant reservoir shows coolant on it but not sure if it's from a leak or the purge.

Should I force the valve down with a blunt object? Bad idea I'm sure... or is this the water pump? My other car had a water pump problem that didn't show signs until every other part of the cooling system was replaced. Talk about a expensive water pump job haha..

So do I need a new purge valve or is it the Water Pump? Thanks in advance..