View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryc
Stay away from the Pirelli P-Zeros... they are expensive, don't last very long (roughly 12k miles), and don't have all that great of traction compared to other tires in that price range.
Hi,

A lot of what you say is true, but I personally like the Pirellis. I think the traction is more than adequate and I have gone more than 18k mi. on the set I have now. Probably need replacing next spring after Mrs. MNBoxster and I finish our River Run down the Mississippi River to St. Louis and back (down on the West Bank, up on the East Bank) next month. Should exceed 20k mi. by then.

They are pricey, and there are lots of other good tires in their range. Truth is, I've bought maybe 30 sets of performance tires in my lifetime and there was something good and something bad about all of them. I have never found the Perfect Tire. The best tires I have found through the years were Dunlops, but lately, I think their crown is slipping. Bridgestones tend to be noisy and harden sooner than most other tires. Goodyears are pretty consistent through the years, but aren't the best for wet traction and they're really spendy as they seldom go on special. Michelins tend to be very non-linear in wear, that is, they show almost no wear at 10k mi., but make it all up by 15k mi. I think the asian tires deserve a good look and are underpriced, probably to gain Market Share. Just IMHO...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote