View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Traco

Its absolutely superb what he has done and brilliant but I think its just as important to keep perspective of the events. It will hopefully lead to a new era in terms of space exploration and renewed interest by another generation. The cost reduction should have massive implications if things progress as hoped.

So to get to my perspective point:
Nasa sent people to the moon AND brought them back with a minuscule fraction of the computing power and knowledge he has today and repeated the operation 6 times and brought 3 vehicles that they drove around.

The roadster has already stopped transmitting (about 4 hours after launch I think). Voyager 1 & 2 left 40 years ago and are still transmitting back to earth from the edges of our universe albeit it basic info but they're still going.

The shuttle was essentially a space delivery van that was intended for only 10 re-uses or 10 years yet they flew 130+ successful missions over 30 years.

Curiosity will be on Mars 6 years this year, takes selfies and sings itself happy birthday, how incredible is that???

Musk is fantastic but its important to remember that he is there because he is standing on the shoulders of giants, true geniuses that did it with slide rules and pencils.

I really think that should be highlighted as those events laid the oh so important foundation on which SpaceX has built and total respect to him for taking it and making it work!!
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote