View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Oldcarguy

What's the generally accepted best headlight clear coat?

I use a mix of products. To start, I apply the surface activator from Sylvania. I mention this because it was pretty amazing to see the ‘yellow’ melt away in the spray runoff. YMMV, but it worked for me.

Middle steps are the typical wet sanding, 600 through 5,000 grit starting by hand, then with small DA sander and hand touch up as required, then a final pass with the surface activator using a clean rag. Then a pass with a tack cloth immediately prior to final finishing.

Regarding the OP’s question, for final finishing I’ve had really good results with the SpayMax headlight system. It’s a 1k primer with a 2k (catalyst) top coat. You are supposed to use the primer followed by the top coat. Spray Max does not recommend using the 2k without the primer. Lens damage, bond promotion??? Who knows. I used both per the directions.

Make sure you have an appropriate, real deal paint respirator and ventilated work space. The 2k paint can be deadly.

Final result after polishing. The yellow-green tint on the projector lens in the pic below is just a reflection of our trees, The lense is perfectly clear. Note the ‘u’ shaped smudge on the inside of the lens. It’s discolored from heat I guess. Nothing can be done without taking the light apart. It’s not that noticeable in person.

Here’s a pic after the 2k coat, prior to final polishing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote