View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Doug427

New Guy, plenty of questions to get started

Hello all, another new guy here. I've had many cars over the years, this is my first Porsche. It's a black 2002 Boxster S. I'm spending lots of time learning, searching the forum, etc. I'm still at the point where it's overwhelming. Sooo..... I have questions. I know someone is going to yell "DO A SEARCH!" I have and I will continue. However, it's overwhelming right now given where I'm at on the learning curve, and as all of you likely know by now, sometimes the info you get on a search is contradictory in nature, and I don't know nearly enough at this point to know good solid info from bad.

Given all that, here's where I am at:

I bought his car at a extremely low price. It seems to be a good solid car to start with, but it needs at least it's share of TLC. It's a black '02 Boxster S with a light tan interior. I like the color combo a lot. In no specific order here are some of the issues I need to deal with.

1- The IMS bearing. I have learned enough to know it needs to be changed out for an upgraded style. Anyone have a favorite? I'd prefer not to do the whole routine with the pressure line, etc. I'll do the clutch and rear main seal while I'm in there, of course. What clutch are guys using? It's just a pleasure cruiser for the weekend with my wife. No racing.

2- Needs a convertible top. I see all these different fabric types available. I would like to have one that looks just like the top that's on there,, more or less. What fabric type looks like a stock Porsche black top? Think I'll go with a vinyl back window. The glass window would be great but it looks really small. Vision is restricted enough as it is. Fair call on that? Lastly regarding the top, has anyone done it themselves? I have never done one, but it doesn't look too terrible a job on YouTube. Then again, nothing ever does.

3- Air/Oil separator - On the initial hard acceleration after the engine is warm and on warm startup afterward it smokes blue smoke. If you accelerate hard once, it'll smoke. Do it again repeatedly and it won't thereafter. Seems to me to be a classic air/oil issue from what I have read. Any tips on doing this job? Seems like a straightforward job from what I've read.

4- The car doesn't ride well - it seems like a very stiff, vague ride. Of course, it's not a luxury car, but I don't know how to describe it. I just don't feel that it's right. How do the bushings in these cars hold up? I'll probably replace the struts with the Bilstein original type (4's, I think it was?). Again, I'm not going to race it, I'm just looking for a comfortable sporty ride. Are the Bilstein's my best choice? What suspension components typically wear? Are some more usual to wear than others? By the way - I should have mentioned this earlier, the car has 105,000 miles on it.

5- The rubber gasket type material around the headlight bezels, between the clear plastic and the body panels, is not in great shape. Is this available separately, and if so where do I get it? I have found zero on this.

6- The power windows don't work. The pass. side seems to drop a bit as it should when I open the door, but that's it. The drivers side does absolutely nothing. Neither operate with the switches. Ideas?

7- Pass. side electric mirror is dead. It doesn't move at all when you try to move it electrically with the switch. The drivers side works fine. Any common known culprits on this?

8- Last one for now, I promise! - The rubber seals around the window/top joint, and under the doors look to be OK, but I'd like to start looking into changing them. I had a convertible roadster BMW once before and it was not the driest ride inside in the rain. I have looked on line and the cost of these from Porsche is nothing less than hilarious. I know parts aren't cheap for a Porsche, I have had many Benz's and BMW's and I get it - however the cost of the rubber seals from Porsche is over the top. Are any of these available from the aftermarket? If so where do I source them?

That'll be more than enough to get me started. Thanks so much for those kind enough to lend a hand on some of these issues.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote