View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
Oldcarguy

Protocol for a 986 that's rarely driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
What are you saving it for? Mechanical things are meant to be used, not stored. Drive the poor car, let it live it's life the way Porsche designed it to.:ah:
+1 for what JFP, Mike and others have said regarding storage. My Boxster is stored from ~nov to ~apr. If there are any Boxster projects to be done, that’s when I do them in its r21 insulated, room finished 45,000 btu, 24’x24’ heated garage. Why? Because we today have a high of 27F (19F with wind chill), it’s snowing like a fiend with more than 6” on the ground already and my tire warranty is void if I drive in weather colder than 45F. We’ve already had many days this winter where the high never reached 0F actual. The coldest day of last winter was -23F actual (-29F with wind chill).

Even if I had snows w/dedicated 18” narrow rims on it as our S5 and Explo do, it’d never make it down our 1/2 mile private road because of the ground clearance (sometimes a problem for the S5 which is a snow beast with the Blizzaks) then there’s the calcium chloride to deal with on the maintained roads.

So that’s what I’m saving it for Enjoy your great winter driving weather

#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 02-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote