View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
My question is: if this were you car, what order would you do everything in? I plan on replacing the struts and strut mounts, rear track arms, and probably control arms since the Meyle OEMs are only like $90 each. As far as I understand, all of the above, besides rear track arms, require an alignment. As of now, I'm planning on doing the following - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Replace rear track arms with TRW OEM parts - $175 each, I don't know if these would be the cause of my problem since it definitely feels like it's coming from the front end, but I've heard that they can impact it.
2. Replace struts, strut mounts, and control arms. Also, possibly sway bar bushings.

Is there any way of doing control arms without getting an alignment? Or should I just go for it and swap everything out?

Thank you everyone.
I don't have any input on what is causing what, but (in my opinion) these can be grouped logically like this:

Rear track arms - you can do that replacement by itself, and if you go back in later to change something else you won't have to remove/reinstall a lot of stuff all over again, just 1 bolt when the track arm connects to the LCA. No alignment required after changing

LCA - you can replace those without changing too much else, in the front you shouldn't need a new alignment but in the back you probably will since there is an eccentric bolt at one end of the arm that controls rear camber.

Struts - if you are replacing struts, then you should change the bumpstops and the strut top mounts when you move the springs and other parts over to the new struts. Mostly everything else can be reused. You should probably get an alignment, especially in the front since the front camber is set by the 3 bolts at the top of the front strut mount.

If you are doing struts, that is a good time to do all the rest since the more stuff you take off, the easier it is to do the struts, so if you have to take it all apart and put it back together, might as well put new parts on That's what I did when I replaced my struts.

Sometimes the rear TRW track arms can be found cheaper on Amazon, and for the front equivalents you can use 99733104301 which is made by both TRW and Meyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti View Post
Or should I just go for it and swap everything out?
If you have decided to do everything, might as well do it all at once
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote