View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
Pepik

Garage
So, I need new cats...

Quick backstory, since I'm new around here: I bought an '02 Boxster S with 116k on it from a mechanic on eBay last July. It drives like a dream, no regrets, even though it was throwing codes when the monitors reset after a week. And of course, the promised maintenance records were mysteriously "lost". But I love it, and want to bring her back to full health. I drive her into work on Fridays and do any weekend driving on her, weather permitting. (End of backstory.)

I've put a couple of thousand miles on her, so took her to the dealer to check on the codes, do a 120k mile tune up, and because the power steering was whining. So, the dealer has informed me that my catalytic converters are dead and they'd really like it if I gave them $8k for new ones. Yep. The codes (P0410, P1411, P0430, and P0420) seem to back up the diagnosis, leading me to consider my options. They're doing the tune up and fixing the power steering leak this week.

I intend replace the cats myself, but I have some questions.
1. New or used? Is there a deciding factor?

2. If new, opinions on the DEC option available at Pelican, or Softronic has a set from NHP, or ?

3. Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? O2 sensors? Full exhaust system?

4. Do most folks delete the rear cats?

5. I understand the fasteners can be rusted pretty thoroughly, and I've bookmarked some links in the forum for advice on how to loosen them, so I assume I should replace them? Do I need to order those separately if I get a used one?

My goal is to have a properly functioning car that will last many years, I'm not trying to squeeze every last hp out of her or get her to sound "better". That said, I'm not opposed to shiny upgrades where they make sense.

Thank you all for the years of advice I've found here, and for any insight you can share.