View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

+1 to all the above...

...and understand a few KEY points about the 986 series.

First, the 2003, 2004 cars have a glass rear window.

Second, you need to replace the water pump, rear main seal, Air/Oil separator, and IMS Bearing. Just do it.

Third, think about replacing the cam chain tensioners, spark plugs, and battery.

Listen for suspension creaks from worn bushings.

Also, look into a spin-on oil filter adapter.

Drive the car, inspect the car.

If these items have been R&R’d recently, then put that car on your list.

As far as “S” vs. standard, it’s just a matter of extra speed and grip. On the street, the lower spec car will be even more tossable and fun.

Nice items to have are Litronic headlights, Bose stereo (But I could argue against that), sport seats(if you are skinny), trip computer, and Porsche Stability Management for safety(But not necessary if you know how to control a car), and any aftermarket goodies you fancy.

Avoid any aftermarket exhaust with two separate cans as they will drive you batty.

Find a well cared for car, and enjoy.

I bought my 2004 SE with 25,000 miles on her in 2015. I shipped her off to Flat 6 Innovations and paid them to R&R all the known failure items I listed above. I figured that cost into the purchase price.

I paid top dollar for a GREAT car.

You could duplicate my happiness for a lot less money.

I have put 20,000 miles on her since I bought her in 2015.

I traded up from my beloved 1993 Miata that I put 325,748 miles on.

I always told everybody that the Miata was the greatest sports car ever made, and while I wo t argue against that idea, I am now convinced that the 986 is actually the best sports car the world has ever seen.

I have a lot of seat time in S2000, every generation Miata, BMW Z4, and Corvettes.

The 986 is just magical.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote