View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Htci

-buy S model
-get prepurchase inspection
-prefer sellers with maintanence history
-check clutch wear if manual and use worn clutch for bargaining (~$800 DIY)
-IMS replacement not necessary, in my opinion, but oil filter and/or sump analysis recommended

I’ve owned a 04 Boxster S for 3 years as a weekend car. As such I’ve only put 10k miles on it. I bought it in great condition but these cars being ~15 years old, German, and usually “enjoyed” by owners need upkeep. Since purchasing I’ve replaced many wear items including tires, rebuilt CV joints, restored clutch, alternator, water pump, and other odds and ends. But I enjoy doing these DIYS. I do not recommend this car as a designated driver or for those that are not mechanically inclined because you will need repairs down the road and paying dealers or indies for labor is not justified for a vehicle with low resale value. That’s my opinion based on my experience. These cars are a joy to drive as well as work on. Ownership of this car is a hobby. For weekend, non track use, budgeting $500/year for DIY repairs should be sufficient, if you already have an extensive automotive tool collection. If you live in or around Houston I can help you out but the guys on this forum are invaluable to Boxster ownership. Good luck!