View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
Htci

Issue Solved

During continued inspection of the issue, I made a couple findings including that one of the two screws holding one of the spark plug coils was loose although this did not improve the sound I was hearing, and also that as I backed the car onto ramps the sound got a bit louder. Days went by before I looked at the issue again. I decided I would change the oil to 0w-40 from 10w-40 to help the hydraulic lifters fill. I took the car off the ramps and let it warm up and the sound didn't return. As I learned more about the engine design, I learned what points I should be checking. I checked the valve cover on driver and passenger sides, at the points where the exhaust and intake cams reside. Both sides sounded the same with the mechanic's stethoscope I also checked the intake manifold on both sides and it sounded the same all over. I started checking the whole engine over with the stethoscope and couldn't find any unusual sounds. While I was in there I checked and cleaned the throttle body (it was basically clean) and also inspected the intake passages for excess oil from AOS but all was good. I had to take everything apart twice because I didn't clip the throttle body cable on completely and while I was warming up the car the throttle body actuator started making buzzing and electrical noises and the idle started to fluctuate erratically. Luckily I discovered this before driving off and it was an easy fix, and I didn't damage anything.

I have decided that my issue is resolved and here are my reasons and lessons:
-The weather had been very cold here at 30 degrees but recently warmed to the 60s. Apparently these cars are very sensitive to viscosity changes due to temperature.
-Even though the digital oil level gauge showed it to be at the lowest acceptable level, I did not bother to fill further. Apparently, these cars need to have oil level at least in center of acceptable range.
-The audio from my iPhone seems to have amplified the sounds because when I listen to the video now I don't hear that noise with my ear when standing next to the car. These car's lifters apparently make a good amount of noise but the noise I hear now seems to be normal lifter acoustics.
-Another issue I had like bumpy acceleration which I believe was due to tire imbalance, has also resolved itself as the weather has warmed. Apparently even the tires are temperature sensitive because I just took the car out for a spirited drive and all noises and bumpy ride is gone.

As I conclude this chapter in my Boxster ownership experience, I realize that Porsche owners, including me, are paranoid and over-reactive. If we take care of our cars well, I don't think there should be any reason to expect the worse (ie scored cylinder, IMS bearings, etc). And for me, in the worst case that I do have a catastrophic failure, there is so much information and support on this website that I'm ready to take on any issue. Like many others have said, quit worrying and drive.