View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
RobertKing

Boxster, or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Ok - Almost bought a cheap boxster about 4 years ago. Didn't (it was really really cheap - and I got scared off from maintenance possibilities.) Ended up buying an older Camaro (92) that had a LS1 swapped in it. Drove it for four years, and low and behold, I can now increase my budget...also, the boxster is now well within my budget, and I've seen many threads, posts, videos, articles describing the ~$10k Porsche Boxster.

Wife gave me the "ok" (long as the Camaro gets sold) and I'm free to jump into Porsche-Land...biggest fear, still...potential maintenance costs. I tend to do much of my own work, but don't want to see this car taking all my $$$ before I even get to enjoy it.

It'll be a spare car, used on weekends or to commute to work on nice weather days. Have a daily driver, so that's not it's purpose at all! Other cars I'm considering.

BMW Z3
BMW Z4
Chevrolet Corvette

Obviously the 986 is the only mid-engined car on this list. And I imagine it'll drive like a dream. I don't think I NEED to have a 300+ HP car at the moment, as a good driving car is more important to me than brute strength. Same time, the Corvette has been described often as being fairly nimble (albeit a bit porkier than a boxster)

Now I know this thread will likely be biased...but, if you were looking at the cars on the list. How would you rate them against the 986? (BTW - I'm basically looking non-S models...most of the "S" models are a bit above my ~$10k budget...can go up slightly, but not significantly.

BMW's have very quiet interiors. Hard to know the engine is running in most. The Corvette may cost you 10's of thousands of dollars if a body panel gets damaged. The Boxster, is not quiet. Body work can be expensive but, nowhere near that of a BMW or
Corvette. If a 986 is the goal, get an S model. The base models are dirt cheap but, also
vastly underpowered. 2.5 (pokey) and 2.7(better) liter engines, 5 speed transmissions... The S has 3.2 liters, 6 speed transmission, larger break calipers, better suspension and so on. Definitely look for complete service histories.

Depending on where you live, a hard top is a plus. Much less road/wind noise and much' more comfortable in colder climates. Again, depending on where you live, 10K is plenty
to buy a good to great condition 986 S. Options will of course vary and add to the price
point but, if you buy a 10k base Boxster, you'll wish you'd held out for an S.