View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
husker boxster

10 Years Ago Today

I stopped at Woodhouse with a co-worker. I was in the mood for a newer Porsche than my 01 Boxster S. I had put together a list of years, options, and colors that I was interested in and wanted to give Woodhouse a chance to find me something.
But I also had another reason for stopping by...

Back in Nov 07, Porsche came out with a Limited Edition 08 Boxster. They only made 250 of the LEs in base and 250 in the S version. They came with lots of options, including Alcantara seats, steering wheel, and shifter. But what made these really different was the color - GT3 Orange. Woodhouse had 4 LEs when I went in to see them in early Nov. 3 were outside (2 base, 1 S) and the 4th was on the showroom floor. I didn't spend much time with the ones outside since it was VERY cold that day, but really checked over the S in the showroom. To my surprise, it was #005 of 250! That blew my mind that they would get such a low number car. However, it had a sticker price of a whopping $66K. That was twice what I'd spent on my 01S, which was by far the most I'd spent on a car. I'd also built my new house 20 yrs earlier for $75K, so that really added some perspective. But that LE really talked to me.

So I thought and thought about it. I was just starting a big project at work, so I felt my job was secure (I had been thru 4 downsizings in 27 yrs). My house was going to be paid off the following July, so I'd only have to make 2 big payments a mo for 7 mos. It was looking possible. I did some research and estimated what dealer invoice would be. I figured a 5% increase would enough to temp them.

I meet with Mitch, the sales mgr. I give him my list and we talk about it for 5-10 min. I start to walk out but passing by the LE, I said, "or you can sell me this one today for $58K". He makes some sound like "ouh, ouh" and runs over to his desk. He comes back and says he can sell it for $59. I was impressed, but said no, $58. He comes down to $58.5. I'm impressed, but said no, $58. He says OK. We spent a whole 10 min dealing on it. I knew what trade-in was on my 01S, so that only took a few min to hash out. As he was doing up the paperwork, he mentioned that he had wanted to close for NYE but his boss thought they should stay open in case someone wanted to buy a car.

Since it was late in the day, I wouldn't be able to pick up my new car until Jan 2. I went home and barricaded my 01S in the garage so no one would smash into it before the 2nd. I called my family and told them the good news. Everyone except my sister-in-law said I was making a mistake - I shouldn't trade my beautiful Lapis blue 01S in for an ugly orange car. Now I have 2 days to decide if I'm making a mistake. Would I make an expensive mistake and flame out on the color in 6 mo? I decide that my sister-in-law knows best and I'm going for it. I pick up the car on the 2nd. I take it over to mom's to show her. She folds her arms and says, "humph, it looks like a pumpkin". Hence the nickname 'Punkin'.

Obviously I haven't flamed out on the color. I love it just as much today as I did when I bought her. I get lots of thumbs up and people taking pics. I normally get the itch to sell after 4 yrs, but 10 yrs is the 2nd longest I've owned a car (had my 79 Mustang Pace Car for 34 yrs). No plans to sell Punkin at the moment. Got 25 more yrs to go before I break my Mustang record.

Attached are some pics of her on the showroom floor and when I picked her up.

Happy New Year!

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote