View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #26
Geof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It's not my number, but I see it a lot and won't argue. Here's a quick search to see what people have said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A986forum.com+%22%242k+a+year%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edit: Expenses with independent shop labor for normal expendable items such as brake parts, tires, fluids and worn out parts such as water pump, AOS, suspension parts, window regulators... A lapse in care is cumulative. If a seller has not had to address any of these over the course of 4-5 years of ownership, the buyer probably will very soon.
When I bought my first Boxster for $5k, I thought it ran and drove fine and I was quite happy with it. As I learned more about these cars, it became a driveable rehab project. If I had taken it to a dealer and told them to make everything perfect, the bill could have easily topped $10k. I probably spent $1,500, did my own work and sold it for $6k a year later.
Sure, there might be an upfront hit for a new buyer, but over the life of the car, 2k a year would be insane. I have on 02s that is 15yrs old. Not a chance it has had, or will ever have 30k plus done to it by now even if it needed every single issue resolved at top dollar.

My point is, a figure like this could scare off a potential buyer. If taken over the lifetime of the car a 1000+ per year might be a more accurate figure. I even believe that is high over the life of the vehicle. That is counting all maint, tires etc.

I had an 84 911 for 10 years. Cost of ownership for the time I had it, not counting fuel, was around 225.00 per year . That’s a daily driver with track days thrown in for fun. Car was immaculate and required no deferred maint when I sold with just under 100k.

Some of these cars can be money pits, but then, so can most every car, potentially. YMMV... ��

Last edited by Geof3; 12-27-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote