View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy986 View Post
Owner asking $3000 now.
FYI - That is the standard price for a Boxster with a blown engine. The price alone might tell you all you need to know.

Buying a car that doesn't run is incredibly risky since you can't take it on a test drive to verify that everything works properly (a/c, heater, cooling system, starter, alternator, suspension, etc, etc, etc. And if the battery is dead, you can't even check out the accessory items like lights, wipers, radio, etc.) This means that you're buying a car whose condition is entirely unknown.

I wouldn't buy that car without having a professional Porsche mechanic do a full Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) unless you are ok with buying a car that might need some serious and possibly expensive repairs (expensive is relative, but you could spend anywhere from $300 for a fairly simple repair to $2500-$4000 swapping the engine ($2500 for a used engine + $1500 labor). Costs could easily go over $5K if there are more problems than just a blown engine).

When I bought my current Boxster (for $3200), the seller promised that the only problem was that the engine was blown. After replacing the engine, I had to spend another $1,000 on problems that he "forgot" to mention.

Let us know how it goes and wishing you the best of luck!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-25-2017 at 09:31 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote