View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #54
titaniumdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I think an advantage that the cradle has versus a singular front mount off the front of the engine is that the cradle can act as a stiffening member to better tie the bottom of the car together which may be helpful for the racers.

The guy in the FB build thread fabricated a small mount bracket that mimics the original flat-6 front engine mount, ie forward and lower from the crank pulley, which is also what I think rusty69911 is talking about too. That was the approach I was going to take because it seems to be the most simple and will offer lots of space on the side of the engine for future expansion.

I will have an engine to start taking measurements from in a month or so.

This looks like a very promising thread... lots of talent and skills. Can't wait to see how it progresses!
I just ordered a 987 6 speed transmission(with cables and axles) so I can get this project going, already have the 4.2L 40 valve motor. I'm going back and forth on the cradle design, using the front Boxster mount makes packaging easy and will simplify the front radiator line routing. Thinking this route will be a horse shoe shape that will pick up the motor in 2 locations on each side, at the transmission bolt up and the factory Audi motor mount location. This way all the bending moment is compensated for and the load is stabilized into a plane that can bolt up to the stock front Boxster mount. Front could be a flat plate to make it compact and help with packaging for accessories/belt run. Hopefully I can have pics of concept next week...depending on how the holiday messes with things.
titaniumdave is offline   Reply With Quote