View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
P_Carfahrer
Pathological Tinkerer

Lets build some adjustable drop links

In preparation for installing a 04 550 se complete sport suspension from a low mileage donor car, I decided to replace my drop links as they are a bit floppy and a couple of boots are torn. A complete set of drop links from a reputable OEM such as TRW, Lemforder, or Meyle will run between $125 - $150. This seems to be pretty steep for a set that is not adjustable.

However, a complete adjustable set from Tarett, RSS, or Elephant is an expensive $500+. I would really like to put the $125 - $150 that I would spend on a stock style set towards an adjustable set to remove any preloading of my new bars and to use for any future adjustable bar setup but I will not spend $500+.

So I decided to build my own as I have built links for 4x4 applications in the past and have access to CAD/machining tools. Searching the interwebs for suppliers of needed metric parts leads me to a UK based motorsports company that is well reviewed. Any search on the googler will bring it up.

I measure a distance of ~200mm between centers of the top and bottom joint and the supplier offers a turnbuckle link to create a 180 – 210mm adjustable joint.
I have ordered the following parts:
Part Number QTY
M12 x Turnbuckle 180 - 210mm TURNKIT_M12_N120 4
M12 left hand rod ends XMLM12x1.75mm 4
M12 right hand rod ends XMRM12x1.75mm 4
M12 x M10 misalignment reducers HMSM12-M10 4
M12 misalignment spacers SPCRM12 1
M10 misalignment spacers SPCRM10 1
Rodobal M12 Rubber Dust Protection Boot SEAB2 8

After assembling the links, I plan on designing/machining stainless steel steep angle high misalignment spacers targeting lengths to make the final installation as plumb as possible on both axes. I will order the M12/M10 fastening hardware after determining the required lengths.

The ordered parts and hardware will run approximately $250 leaving me with a complete adjustable drop link set for only $100 more than I would have to pay for an OEM style set. If successful it would be interesting to look into building some adjustable rear toe links.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote