View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

re-calibrate gas gauge

Hello everyone.
I am new to the forum and want to wish all happy holidays!
I bought a 1998 boxster recently with a check light on and a gas gauge needle stuck on or near empty.
I am a retired guy trying to do as many DIY jobs as I can on my own.
So I replaced the sending unit with a new one. The old sending unit seemed to be the original one and was in really bad shape. The float was froze and all metals were corroded.
After the replacement I started the car and the needle on the gas gauge moved up to almost to the 1/4 tank mark and the check engine light went out. I felt proud I had done my first DIY job. However that happy feeling did not last long. I took the car to fill up the tank and when I started it again the needle moved a bit and stopped at the original empty or nearly empty mark. The check engine light came on again.
Now that the sending unit is new I am back focusing on the fuel gauge.
I understand from reading online that the gauge needs to be recalibrated. There is little information that I can find with regards on how to recalibrate. I saw a youtube video where where a someone said to remove the lens over the gauge and with your finger to manually move the needle up to the full position with the ignition key in the off position when the tank is full. He claims when the ignition key is turn on again the needle should now stay up at full mark and that's how this issue gets fixed.
The guy demonstrated this on a Honda Civic but said this is generally done on most makes of cars. But I am just afraid to make things worse by physically messing with the needle.
Has anyone had a similar experience and know how to re-calibrate or do whatever needs to be done to fix this issue? Any information will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by 1998; 12-13-2017 at 05:48 AM.
1998 is offline   Reply With Quote