Thread: clutch cost
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #34
Drphil
midlifechrisis

clutch cost etc

So in the end I chose to leave it at the shop and have the whole thing done, - yes I could probably do this myself, and save a grand but in the end there were several things to consider- one is that it looks like the IMS is close to failure, and the slave replacement is not so easy on the 97 models, as Porsche changed the connector, they don't make the original design and it hast to be replace which means replacing the whole line, new coupler MC,slave etc. - I actually thought it was this first not the flywheel and disc, but here we are, I don't have the full final bill but having this all done a the same time saves a lot on labor
$1400 for RMS, pressure plate and disc - new flywheel(OEM SACHS) adds $750, no labor , so now at $2100., ok now we add IMS of $600 for cylinder type dual row, one extra hour labor $100, $2800 + some tax etc and im expecting $3,000 - clutch hydraulic upgrade new line MC SC etc is $300 plus another $100 labor -
in the end, I guess I could have saved about $1200 labor cost to do it all myself, but I don't have the IMS puller tools and its done by a master mechanic that has been working for and on Porsche since before my 914 was new. I have to say am glad it will be done,, done right and warranty to boot.

BUT that was my budget for new coil overs and exhaust!!! that will all have to wait another year or two,.
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote