View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
I think you are supposed to re-torque axle bolts after 500 miles, if I recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That would be counterproductive as it would break the thread locker that you should have applied.
Re-torquing the axle flange bolts is not recommended.

I've read of these breaking loose after removal/installation (in one case even breaking the transmission mount point off of the trans case), so was wary when I did my clutch. I used blue thread locker and a touch of clear red enamel on the head of the bolts (a blob that was on the side of the head and the mating surface) so I could check periodically to see if they broke loose. That was a year ago and none ever did.
If the axle bolts were installed correctly then there is no reason to not recheck torque, especially for the first time DIY'er. As long as you check to the original torque value there will be no additional movement. However if it does move then they got loose for some reason , dirt, corrosion or incorrect tightening sequence etc. and you will be thankful for the chance to correct the problem.
I checked mine about a week after i C/O the output seal and again when I installed the Koni FSDs. No movement either time. Bonus tip: This task is made especially easy with a 3' extension.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-06-2017 at 09:29 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote