View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnyc View Post
Is going square an appreciable performance gain?
Generally yes, because the 255's up front provide huge front end grip at corner turn in. There are a few tracks where staggered might be faster down long, sustained straights but the improved cornering prowess usually more than makes up for this. Almost everyone in Spec Boxster runs the square setup.

Quote:
Performance loss (I hear possible brake overheating)?
No brake cooling issues (get the 996 GT-3 cooling ducts which are much larger than the 986 ducts and you'll be fine).

Quote:
Not really worth it for street/HPDE?
A square setup probably isn't really needed on the street but it will make HPDE's a lot more fun.

Quote:
If going square, is it recommended to get a stiffer front sway bar to dial out some of the possible oversteer?
Yes, an adjustable front sway bar (like the 996 GT-3 bar) will allow you to re-balance the car (by dailing out some of the oversteer which is created when the front grip is increased by going square).

Quote:
I just sold a 996 that was on PSS10s that I was ok with the stiffness for the street. Also, the lowering gave a good compromise of camber for street/HPDE. Is there a preferred street/HPDE setup for the Boxster (maybe just get used Spec Boxster PSS9's?)
A cheaper route than PSS9's is the Porsche M030 sport suspension set up. It lowers the car a bit and firms up the suspension but its not adjustable like the Spec setup.

If you want a street/track car that will really handle on the track, get the Spec suspension but keep the Bilstein springs that come with the PSS9's. The car will handle very well on the track and still be livable on the street.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-01-2017 at 06:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote