View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #39
zvovchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Boxster's are designed with inherent understeer. Most owners increase the front tire width from the stock 205 to 225 to reduce understeer. 235 is even better.

However, if you go the next step and install 255's up front, the car typically goes from natural understeer to natural oversteer (because now the front has a lot more grip). This won't be an issue while driving around town at normal speeds, but crank it into a freeway on-ramp with a set of RA-1's or take it to an autocross and at the limit the rear end is going to be loose.

Thus, most owners who go square install adjustable coilovers, adj drop links, and adj sway bars so the handling can be adjusted back to neutral (or however the owner likes it best).

If you wanted to try going square on the stock suspension, then yes, disconnect the rear sway bar and set front tire pressure slightly lower than the rear tire pressure. The car should still exhibit quite a bit of oversteer so be prepared to react accordingly.
Adjustable coilovers(pss9 2k $),
adjustable drop links (front/rear Tarret 1k $)
, and adjustable sway bars (gt3 front/Tarret tear 1k$)
And we havent got to lower controll arms and other bits.
Plus my time installing the stuff, sounds like about 4k of dollars and that much closer SPB build. 4k can buy a lot of tires of going staggered for $4k. Oversteers that bad huh if just doing square and no mods.. I do notice that bit of understeer a bit when pushing the car, its not that bad though.
Hmmm you made me think. Seeing that photo of Boxster on three wheels got me waay exited.
Hmm it sounds like ALL IN or nothing hehe
zvovchik is offline   Reply With Quote