View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Trunk open... no coolant in reservoir... long...

Bought the 98 a few months ago. All good. Maintenance included cleaning the throttle body... and last week I cleaned the radiators. They didn't look much unlike the pictures I've seen on here. Dirty. Anyhow...

It's been driven 40 miles here... there...everywhere. Always returned home. So...

Drove it to Vegas Thursday morning. 240 miles. All good. Did some light city driving... 10 miles here... 10 miles there.

Saturday afternoon I make the return trip (the 15 into SoCal). After having successfully driven it TO Vegas without a hiccup I had more confidence driving it back. It really likes ~3900 RPM and ~90 MPH. Anyhow... after the 240 mile return trip I pull it into the driveway.. park... run a few things into the house... come back out... HUGE coolant spill.

I walked to the bottom of the driveway where, when I reach it and because it has a slight incline, I slow down the car... clear the driveway incline... and gas it into the driveway. So...

There at that incline was an obviously large dump of coolant... and a stream, pencil width, of coolant that followed me he final 25 feet into the driveway... and the big spill/dump. Something tells me that when I gave it gas after that incline... the dump stopped... but when I reached my destination, 25 feet away... the big dump.

I've read about the coolant spewing all over the trunk so, with trepidation... I lifted the trunk lid. Zero coolant. That was a relief. So... it's getting dark and I figure I'll check everything first morning light.

That is where "can't get the trunk open" ends. So...

Trunk open. There was condensation above the reservoir cap. OK. I've read that is acceptable in this case.

Pulled back the fabric... examined the floor... sides... zero coolant. Bone dry. Examined the tank... looks white... no leaks... hoses look great... all good there.

Pulled the engine front cover. Bone dry inside... no signs of leaks... hoses look exactly like they did the last time I poked around in there: a week ago.

Now... I noticed last night... and the evidence remained this morning... that there was coolant that appeared to be sprayed onto the inner rear passenger tire. I flashed around up in the well... car lifted... suspension relaxed... didn't see any sign of from where the coolant originated.

All that said...

The reservoir tank is empty... well... there's just residual coolant on the bottom.

Should I fill the reservoir with distilled water... put the tank valve up... drive it a hair... check the tank level... fill if necessary... drive... check... repeat?

I've read about hot spots... that concerns me... if there's air in there, etc.

I look forward to the advice. Thank you.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote