View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
AZ986S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That configuration has at least one place where I would be wondering if I should go to 2nd or leave it in 3rd. Lately I have been leaving it in 3rd unless I am going to drop below 40 MPH in the corner, then I will try 3rd. Leaving it in 3rd and going down to the high 30's takes a long time to recover from as it feels like it takes forever for the revs to get back over 4000.

Turns where I am dropping down to like 45, that is a toss up - like turn 7 at Road Atlanta. I could drop to 2nd and get a good pull, but that is a trickier shift and it seems to slow me down. In that case I decide to leave it in 3rd and see if I can find ways to bring up the vMin for that corner instead.

That is one place where I envy the PDK folks - they don't have to make those same compromises, they can always get the right gear to blast out of the corner
Yeah PDK is fast.
I've seen PDK Caymans scream as they drop down to 1st when I would have stayed in 2nd (autocross), and 2nd screaming for an instant when I would have just stayed in 3rd... but yes, they are fast

My 3.2 is tuned with a 74 mm TB, so it has some nice torque down low. Before the tune, I would prefer to stay above 4,000 rpm, but now I can go a bit lower and still pull out pretty quick from a corner. I think the new to me 2006 reman engine has more torque than the original 2002, but I haven't dynoed it yet.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote