View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
pinksnyper

Thank you for this valuable perspective. The 05 is up to 60k maintenance according to the seller. I may call the shop it's been worked at and see if they can share the service history (is that an usual request?).

The dealer car is sweet but overpriced and with shipping and PPI will blow my budget. I definitely want to find the right car so not rushing on emotion. Originally was waiting to spring but this time of year the prices really come down as well.

Oh and I plan to drive a base this weekend to see if I even "need" and S, which will open up the inventory of available cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Buy from a dealer and you don't know the reason for why the car was acquired and you do know it will cost you the dealer's profit and expenses extra.

The one you mentioned at you know the last 14 months history and you know the seller's motivation. I sold my last Boxster for the same reason.

Yes to the PPI, that should tell you what you'll need to spend to bring the car up to date on its maintenance. I bought a 39k miles '01 that was about 6 years old and promptly did brakes, tires and a 90k it being the most comprehensive service. But I knew those costs before I made the offer and so did the seller. So in the end I got a well serviced car whose maintenance I knew that was wonderfully reliable for 5 years. Could it not have been? Sure.

Owned a base and a S and frankly for highway and local commuting, I couldn't tell the difference. I've driven well over 100MPH in a 1.3 litre sportscar from the 60s which means I value the handling more than the raw speed/power.
pinksnyper is offline   Reply With Quote