View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #29
Topless
Track rat

Garage
My 2.5L Boxster logged 100+ track days, many at ACS Fontana which is known to kill dozens of 986 motors directly due to starvation. My brother and I ran nearly identical cars and both were regularly at the pointy end of the BSX time sheet. We never killed a motor.

There are lots of gizmos, gadgets, and methods to attempt to resolve this and I don't know any that are 100% effective. Here was our strategy with success over nearly 200 combined track days:

-Run NT-01 tires which are good track tires but generate less lateral G forces than the 40tw R-Comps.

- X-51 pan

- Castrol 5w40 oil changed every 6 months

- Make sure the oil level was exactly topped before every session at hi G tracks.

- Complete the banked sweeper at max speed and stay well away from the rev limit as we downshift for the next corner. The idea here is that after a banked sweeper, the pan is nearly dry from hi G cornering so we let the car idle under full braking to allow for some refill and only blip to 4k on downshift at the last possible moment. Pinging the rev limit with a nearly empty oil pan is the best way to cavitate the oil pickup and score the main bearings, killing a nice flat six motor.

I can't say these methods will work for everyone but they certainly were effective for us in BSX class.