View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Bebbetufs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Search, plenty threads about this problem
I guess my question was unclear. I'm sorry!

I've been reading all about this for years.

My engine has:
Deep sump
Horizontal baffle plate
Original vertical baffle
Original swirl pots
Large heat exchanger
3.2L coolant pipes
Central rad.
Original dual row IMS inspected and in great shape.

Internet is a dificult place to find objective information, and few of us are willing to do destructive testing, or have the datalogs needed to find out if our mods work or not.

All my mods are based on the best knowledge available at the time, but cruisually not backed up by actual data on oil pressures during a race, at least not data made available to the public.

Oil pressure drops seem to be a problem.
The only info I've seen on this that's backed up by actual available data says that:
Deep sump doesn't work.
Accusump doesn't work
Baffles doesn't work
Dry sump works. (but what about IMS splash lubrication? Pressure feed?)

I was planning to add an accusump to the system, but since the only data I'v seen says it doesn't help I've decided to drop it.

I am the only one I know who's building a 2.5 racer in the country so I have absolutely no real-life info to draw on. Only forums and vendors. Hence my questions

What I'm getting at is this: As almost none of you have dry sumps and you are still racing: If they constantly blow up there would be no racing.

How frequent are actual engine blow ups during races?

Do you worry that the engine is weak and will blow, and does it hold you back from enjoying the car and going for it in races and during practice?

Or is this actually as solid an engine as other street engines tthat are raced?

I've had nothing but bad luck with the engines in my 944 T which has run for a total of 6 months during 8 years ownership. If the m96 is as bad as the Internet says I'd rather drop this project, buy a new shell, return her to stock. That way I can cut my losses and buy a Ginetta with a rock solid crate Ford engine., But the mixed Porsche racing we have seems so fun....

Last edited by Bebbetufs; 10-17-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote