View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
Luccia at Pelican Parts
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmedley View Post
Hello I'm a new member and I also a new owner of 1999 Boxster (1st time owner of Porsche) Silver w/red interior just picked it up two weeks ago from private owner he purchased it new/ had the original window sticker and all service records from Porsche dealer. A 24K miles "garage queen" I did some research on the Boxster's prior and learned about the IMS issues but was understanding this was an issue for the MY2000-2006 with single row bearings. So I had a PPI done and it came up clean. Then as I read more I see that this can also be an issue for the MY1997-99 "garage queens" because letting the car sit is not a good thing. I'm loving the car and the way it handles but I'm concerned about the stories I read of the IMS failures. Think I'll eventually have the bearing changed out before any real damage happens to the motor. Great looking cars guys, You guys enjoy the ride!!
We've got a lot of info about the IMS Bearing that you can read up on here: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement and Upgrade (IMS) - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-06).
Luccia at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote