View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My .02....

....I am almost 50 years old.

I have owned a 1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata since new.

I have regularly attended track day events, auto crosses, etc.

I am an enthusiastic driver. I will always choose the more aggressive car.

My wife and I enjoy cross-country vacation drives. The Miata was just getting to be a bit too loud, a bit too rough, and with 325,768 miles on the clock, it was time for a replacement.

I went round and round and round from S2000 to Z4 to Boxster to SLK to Mustang to Elise, all of the roadsters and convertible sporty cars.

I test drove a 987 and I liked it.

Then I did some deep diving into the Boxster universe. I have a philosophy that the best cars are the ones designed by a core group of "True Believers" under some kind of duress and with clear targets for the car in mind.

Examples of cars like this are the first generation Miata, the 986 Boxster, the first generation S2000, and the Elise.

I also firmly believe that cars designed before the year 1995 are "better" for ME, because they were designed before the latest crash test and emissions laws kicked in, forcing cars the pass severe crash tests and clean burning rules, forcing thick doors, larger overall structures, airbags galore, and all the lean burning, clean burning EPA stuff.

I also like having a real spare tire and a real oil dipstick.

All of this led to me buying the best 986 I could find. I ended up buying a 2004 550 SE Boxster.

I absolutely LOVE HER!

Is the 987 better? Well, what IS better? Stiffer structure? Safer? More Tech? Yes, the 987 has all of that. Is THAT better? Not for me.

The 987 gives up a real spare tire and a real oil dip stick.

Without my real spare tire, I would not have made it home from Boxstoberfest in Fredericksburg, Texas last year.

With a real oil dipstick, I can visually inspect my engine oil. I can learn a LOT from the oil what is happening inside my engine.

My 986 is lighter, has REAL steering feedback, I like the style more, and this SE is just flat beautiful inside and out.

I have zero desire for a newer Boxster.

Park my 986 next to a 718, and my car can fit INSIDE the new car, they have gotten THAT big.

If I wanted a land yacht, I would have bought a muscle car. No thanks.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote