View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #9
BirdDog

I just want to throw in here that the metal might not be from the IMS bearing...

In my case (2001 Boxster S) the metal turned out to be from the main timing chain that had stretched and was beating the heck out of the top of the tensioner paddle.

Whatever the cause, once you have metal in the filter you only have a few choices...

1. You can have the engine torn down and rebuilt. Lots of $$$$ to do that (ask me how I know)... would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I love this car...

2. You can replace the engine with a good used one. Before the engine is installed, have all the usual suspects replaced (IMS bearing, water pump, AOS, motor mount, etc. It's a lot easier to do that stuff with an engine in a stand rather than in the car.

3. Drive it until it goes BOOM and sell it as a roller. Or see #2.

Once metal is in the oil it's all through your engine. It will have contaminated all the timing chain ramps, tensioner paddles, oil pump, and there will be metal bits clinging to everywhere inside your engine. You might be lucky and the oil filter has prevented the bits from getting into your bearings and valve train components. But I wouldn't count on it.

You could gamble that the replacement IMS bearing went bad and replace it again. But whatever you do, don't install a ceramic bearing like the LN one - they are absolutely awesome, but they don't work well (ie BOOM) if there's metal in there. You'd have to install a sealed steel bearing (like the original) and then do multiple oil changes (flushes). After 15-20K miles and several oil changes then maybe you could install an LN. But this is a super big gamble and assumes that the metal is coming from the IMS bearing. It might not be!

My recommendation would be to replace it with a good used engine.