View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Fyeganeh

Not that I am recommending this but if you look in old threads, there are one or two reports of people trying to salvage the engine by replacing the IMS and doing multiple oil flushes in a row (of course that is assuming the IMS bearing is the source of the problem).

The key point is that many of the replacement IMS bearings are opened on one side to allow oil to splash on the bearings for lubrication.. This is exactly what you don't want in your situation because the metal will get in and destroy the bearing. Instead they used an original bearing style which is covered on both sides and has grease as lubrication. I believe Pelican sells one that way.

Then they replaced the oil and oil filter frequently until there was no more metal. I'm not sure whether it was at 50 or 100 miles and four oil changes in a row or so.

Anyways, the experts say this shouldn't work and I'm definitely not an expert. But at least one person tried and seemed to have success in the short term although I don't know whether that success is continuing or whether it ultimately failed.
Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote