View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
RandallNeighbour

edevlin, you posted that from the wear bars on the back, it looked like the car was out of alignment. Note that on our cars, the rear wheels are intentionally aligned with quite a bit of negative camber, making the rears look like this:

/----\ <-- pretty nice ascii artwork, huh?

This alignment setup makes it very difficult for the back end to break loose under heavy cornering, but wears the insides of the tires far faster than the outside.

On my last set of tires, I had Discount Tire knock the rubber off the back rims and flip it around so the inside edge became the outside edge of the other side of the car. This is the only way one can "rotate" unidirectional tires. That made them last about 12k, but you must do it every 2k or so or the tread will be too uneven for safe driving.

And while I'm commenting, I'd keep those front Pirelli's. Considering replacement is the answer for a tire with a nail or screw in it, a spare pair of front tires is mighty nice to have in the garage when you don't have the cash for two new tires that match on the front... I've never been able to find a replacement tire with the identical tread pattern when I needed one... they change them every year it seems.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-15-2006 at 08:31 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote