View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #516
BoxsterLS376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Wow, that was a lot of work. Sounds great. I can't help but think the oil cooler is an oil heater sitting next to the exhaust.
No not at all. It is not as close as it looks, closest part is the line that runs over it and it is several inches away. The cooler allows about an extra 1.5Q of oil and the cooler does just fine. I'll get some temps with my pyrometer next time I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
John, I started my V8 conversion shortly after yours on a 2006 BoxsterS - I've enjoyed your videos... but did not know about them till well into my conversion. I used the same crate engine as you did and really went through a lot of the same discovery processes as you. I'm up and running and all is working reasonably well - except that serpentine belt squeal!!! I noticed you had the same squeal on your videos and was wondering how you resolved it? I've already remachined a bunch of the Renegade mounts and am about to make some of my own to give more belt wrap on the crank pulley... so how did you do it? Would really like to sit down over a couple of beers with you someday. Thanks, Doug My email is dougbehning@gmail.com
Hi Doug, thank you, I'm glad my videos have helped! Yeah, the belt. UGH. Haha. That has been somewhat of an issue with or without the A/C. Without the A/C it was better, but with the alternator mount having the only adjustment you are pretty limited in both cases. I still had to cut/grind on the engine itself to get more adjustment as well as going through about 10 different sized belts to find one I could slip over the pulleys and still make it tight enough not to squeal

Currently I am running the A/C compressor and when I put it on I had to come up with a better solution to tighten it more. I decided to make an adjustable tensioning rod out of heim joints sort or like Porsche used on the old 944's - You can google Adjustable heim joint mount and you can see what I'm talking about. I ended up needing a pretty small one so I bought the parts from https://www.mcmaster.com and made a custom sized one. It didn't give me a whole lot more adjustability but has been ok, plus you still need to get just the right belt so it fits over the pulleys and doesn't max out. Now that the weather is cooling down it is starting to loosen up a bit so may need to look into it again.

The best solution would be to put a roller pulley in between the crank pulley and the alternator to get better wrap around the crank but really not enough room to do that, not without making some kind of custom bracket. Best advice I could give on the subject is to make sure your belts are 100% perfect before putting the motor in the car - otherwise it is a pain in the ass to deal with!

We could definitely get together for a beer sometime! I think we have a few V8 Boxsters down south here, maybe we can all get together at an event sometime??
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote