View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #61
robdelorenzo

Update:
I just took the car out to get new oil, a filter, and run a few more errands.
Along the way each time I stopped I sat down next to the ground near the passenger rear tire to listen for hissing or dumping coolant. I did not see or hear anything.

I live at the top of a steep canyon and as I was driving up the canyon the temp gauge rose a bit higher than it's (formerly?) normal temp of around 180. This time it was more like 190. It is a very hot and humid day here in Socal so that may account for some of it.

Anyhow, as soon as I pulled into the garage, guess what? Hissing and coolant started dumping out of the overflow. I had the wire in the up position the entire trip and I could hear air escaping from that valve. The coolant level in the tank is now is down to a bit more than 1/3 (from dead in between max and min) but certainly lower than it was when I started. At one point, while I was doing my errands I saw that the entire coolant bottle looked like it was full. It was almost all the way up to the black plastic.

I'm new to this car and new to all this. I'm learning what "normal" is from this forum.

Please let me know what's going on and if this is all part of the bleeding process or if I do in fact have some sort of coolant or circulation issue going on.

The oil is draining and looks pretty black to me. This is probably from the meltdown last weekend and it had been changed less than 1k miles ago.

Thanks in advance. This ought to be called Porsche University Online. I'm really learning a lot here!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote