View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #12
steved0x

I'm going to bleed it again after work today, I bet I am going to find some big bubbles.

I think I am ok with regard to ABS/TC because:
  • I never let the fluid get below min in the master cylinder
  • I blocked the brake pedal down a little before I removed the calipers, this kept the brake fluid from draining out, and also I put a bleed cap on the end of each hard line. This way I lost almost no brake fluid out of the lines when the calipers were off. Hopefully this kept air from floating up and getting into the ABS/TC system

Edit - yeah the clutch is a hassle to bleed I have done it recently, and so I didn't plan on doing it this time. My understanding is that the clutch runs its own line off the master cylinder, so unless I were to empty the master cylinder too much when bleeding I shouldn't introduce any air into the clutch line. And the clutch line doesn't get pressurized when I apply the brakes so even if it had air, I wouldn't think it would affect the brakes.

I will tell a story though - the very first time I flushed my brake fluid it was with ATE Super blue, and I paid a shop to do it. They didn't do the clutch, and I think they only did the outer bleed screw (I don't even think they took the wheels off, I think they just put a tube on the nipple, opened it up and let it drain out "gravity" style). Shortly after that I got the Motive bleeder and when it was time to flush the brake fluid again, I did it myself, and I noticed the following this:
  • When bleeding from the inner bleed screw on the brakes, I got a short slug of the original amber brake fluid before the blue came out. It was all blue from the outer screw.
  • When I bed the clutch, it came out totally blue. Somehow the blue got mixed in with the original amber, I guess due to the brake fluid going in and out at the master cylinder end when the clutch was applied. Odd

So I may be way off with my thoughts above about how the clutch and brake interact...

Last edited by steved0x; 08-30-2017 at 05:47 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote