View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
Called my indie. He said to try and start car as it cooled off all night. It started fine and sounded ok but felt a bit sluggish. I shut it down. Tried it again. No screaches, clunking, or loud mechanical noises. Mechanic says that's a good sign.
^ That's about right. I would add scanning for fault codes if you have a OBDII scanner. If not just quickly grab one from your local autozone. Any medium/large mechanical or electrical failure will have registered already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
But he said we need to replace alternator and find and fix leak before even assessing what other damage may have been done. That's going to probably cost 1k to even find out.
Find out what? If no codes and the car starts, just replace the alt and plug that hose where it goes. Fresh fluids and off you go.

Good luck with the car bud! Good thing it still starts. PS: Overheating only hardens the alloy/metal microstructure. Good thing but you can't let this happen a second time as some of the material may already have reached brittle levels. Go easy for the next few hundred miles as everything will need settling down to new shapes and sizes! Should be fine (its a Porsche!)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-29-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: wwwhat?
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote