View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
2002 Boxster Base 140k
New AOS, water pump, engine mount, maf, plugs, coil pack (all that I can think of at the moment)

Yesterday while driving home, all of the dash lights started flashing, temp gauge maxed out, steam clouds everywhere, ps Went out, somehow I made it home.

Today I pulled the engine cover and saw that the alternator pulley is GONE.
It sheared off. Belt was intact but not connected to anything.

Oil looks clean, as I poured in distilled water, it came leaking right out from what appears to be the center of the engine.

Called my indie. He said to try and start car as it cooled off all night. It started fine and sounded ok but felt a bit sluggish. I shut it down. Tried it again. No screaches, clunking, or loud mechanical noises. Mechanic says that's a good sign.

But he said we need to replace alternator and find and fix leak before even assessing what other damage may have been done. That's going to probably cost 1k to even find out.

Is it worth the $$ to even find out?
Or is it a roller now? If so, what's a roller worth in Socal?
What are the chances that no major damage was done since the engine started?

Not too happy about this, needless to say.
Continuing to drive was not smart, but I can't undo that now.
Sounds like the alternator seized.

Check your oil to see if there is any intermix. Fortunately these engines don't blow head gaskets, but overheating is not good. Is your trunk wet? Maybe the leak is cracked tank due to overheating and overpressure. It's also possible a hose went, if you have an Auto, the coolant has a line off the water pump that runs to the tranny.

You could do the alternator replacement yourself -- and get some eyes to help with exactly where the water is going/coming from -- then reaccess. That'll probably cost you maybe $200-300.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote