View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Andy San Diego

Garage
...thought I was finished with Porsches

I recently sold a 2012 Cayman S Black Edition and thought I was finished with Porsches (I'm 92), but recently saw this 986 for sale at my Honda dealer (Arctic Silver/blue interior) for a ridiculously low price, and jumped on it. It has a new top, excellent leather, and new front rotors. I had a major service flushing brake and transmission fluids, plus a thorough examination. It seems good. I installed Yokohama Nuevo AD08R tires, and will shortly go out with my usual friends for our Saturday morning blast over SD's East County's great twisty roads, plus breakfast.

As a postscript, thanks for the welcoming words from several members.

Maybe I'll add my Porsche-owning history:
1957 - 1957 new white/green interior with chrome wheels 1600 S Speedster, bought while I worked in Holland 8/56-4/67. About six great years, friends, and memories with Porsche Club Holland, many Porsche treffen, six 24-hour Scheveningen-Luxembourg-Scheveningen rallies, race driving course at Zandvoort circuit. Also in Holland owned new '62 Volvo 544 (kept until 1990, shipping it to the U.S.) and remarkable Citroen ID19. (Born-U.S., I worked in Holland, Saudi Arabia, Canada almost all of my career, as engineer/project manager for Texaco/Saudi Aramco.)
1957 - 1935 model Dutch girl, blonde/shapely, married her, now 60 years and countless miles n the logbook.
Then long period no Porsches due children and living mostly in Saudi Arabia, motorcycles but no Porsches. Retired 1985 to Coronado, CA.
1996 - 1967 Red 912. Autocross and Time Trials about 7 years. Installed red racing seats, 5-point harness. Engine blew up on track, ending that.
2000 - 1995 Silver/gray 993 Carrera Coupe.
2004 - 1999 black/gray Boxster. (Should have kept it.)
About 2012 - Recently finished 1987 Silver 911 Carrera made into Martini livery replica rally car with on road and raised off-road configurations. Built regardless of expense by then Sales Manager San Diego Porsche dealer with GT3 seats, roll cage, big gas tank, and a whole bunch of accoutrements. I was a dope to sell it. (See also Speedster.)
2016 - 2012 Cayman S Black Edition. Never fell in love with it, heavy controls, put on very few miles.
August 2017 - 2000 Arctic Silver/blue interior 5MT Boxster. Definitely in love with it. (Also have 2015 Honda Fit LX 6Mt and 2017 Camaro V6 8-speed automatic, with aftermarket wider wheels and Max Performance tires on both cars.)

I have photos of these cars (and wife).

Last edited by Andy San Diego; 08-21-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Corrected tire model; thanked for welcomes; added P history
Andy San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote